Baloo Living 1 month ago
Design and Production Manager (Soft Lines)
Anywhere (100% Remote) · Full Time, Part Time
- 🧨 Staff Pick
- ⏲ Part Time to Full Time
- 🗺 Anywhere in the World
- 🔑 Work with the Founder
- 💰 Competitive Salary & Perks
- 📅 Applications Close April 16th
- 🌍 Work for a Sustainable and Fun Company
Now Hiring: Remote Design and Production Manager (Soft Lines)
Baloo Living is a sleep and wellness brand inspired by the innate wisdom of the Human body. We believe in using business to do good, through serving our customers and leading by example to have a positive impact on the environment and our communities.
We launched in 2018 with a luxurious weighted blanket designed to help people feel soothed and grounded, to reduce anxiety, and improve sleep. We have since expanded into offering a limited range of linen bedding, a sleep mask with a hidden crystal over the third eye, and a set of meditation speakers which we wholesale from the makers.
We are a small, committed, and passionate team working remotely across the US. Our intention is to expand our product offering to include thoughtful, high-quality products with a story to help people create a nourishing personal space, starting with the bedroom.
The amount of care we feel toward our customers shows in our high-quality products and outstanding customer service – from a lifetime quality guarantee, to free exchanges (almost unheard of in the weighted blanket category) free gifts with purchase, and more, we are always looking for ways to surprise and delight our customers by going above and beyond ordinary expectations.
Our customers are willing to pay more to invest in quality, natural materials; they understand that sleep and wellness are important either for themselves or as a gift for a loved one. The message of mindfulness, respect, and responsible consumption resonates with them, and they believe in supporting smaller businesses over larger, cheaper alternatives. While the primary demographic is women ages 25-44, our products have a wide general appeal in the market and serve people of all ages and backgrounds.
The Design and Production Manager Role
The production manager is responsible for executing Baloo Living’s new product development, and existing and new production logistics. This is a part-time management position with a focus on both ideating and manufacturing thoughtful home and wellness products. This role will ensure that manufacturing processes are reliable, organized, cost-effective, and efficient. Exceptional communications and organizational skills are a must. The ideal candidate is a great problem-solver and doesn’t get overwhelmed by conflict, adapts to challenges, and has confident, positive energy.
The production manager will work directly with the CEO and Director of Operations and may liaise with other team members as much as is helpful (marketing and customer service.)
We’re looking for a self-starter to join our location-independent production team. You will help grow, organize, and assist with our production operations. Our ideal candidate has a production background and is familiar with sourcing, product design, cost control, establishing systems and processes, and can understand the mindset of our target demographic. You are comfortable in a fast-paced environment and excel at project management. You are highly self-motivated, a good communicator and collaborator, and great at meeting deadlines. An entrepreneurial streak is a plus, but most importantly, you enjoy what you do and seek growth through work.
- Manage all aspects of the pre-production process including sampling, creating processes, purchasing, shipments, and QC
- Developing and managing production schedules and calendars
- Product costing and costing improvement
- Sourcing (new facilities, fabrics, packaging, etc.)
- Working with overseas factories and ensuring quality products are received on time
- Creating SOPs for all aspects of the production process
- Solving problems and improving systems and processes
- Comfortable with important responsibilities, as this is a critical part of the business
- A growth mindset. Always looking for new ways to improve our processes and company.
- Confident and clear communication
- Understanding of modern clothing manufacturing
- Interest in ethical and sustainability practices
- Project management skills
- Highly organized and efficient
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Comfortable with spreadsheets and numerical aspects of the role
- Great, clear communication
- Handles conflicts with a positive attitude
- Experience working remotely
- Experience working with a small team
- Experience with global soft lines and home goods manufacturing
- Experience with ethical and sustainable production practices
- Experience working with Chinese manufacturers as current production is in China
- Existing relationships with vendors and contractors outside of China as we would like to set up new production outside of China
Other Role Requirements
- Reliable internet connectivity, a laptop or desktop computer, and access to all regular communication channels
- Working in a time zone that falls during the American workday
- Exceptional written and spoken English
- A willingness to learn, take on new responsibilities, a go-getter attitude (aka GSD)
- Strong project management and communication skills
- Organized, detail-oriented and deadline-driven
Organization + Production Calendar Management
- Make sure we are on time!
- When schedule changes, ensuring we get back on track as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Holding partners accountable for promised deadlines and schedules
- Create and submit POs
- Check for correct POs and invoices
- Carefully check before payment
- Look for places to cut costs or save on production
- Look for errors in accounting, especially on invoices from vendors
- Select, order, and purchase materials carefully and efficiently
- Developing COGs for all new products and updating seasonally
- Tracking past, present, and ongoing WIP costs
- Maintaining great communication with vendors and partners
- Building new relationships for new product needs
- Strong and confident in challenging circumstances
- Determining quality control standards with manufacturers
- Assess and ensure quality on all production runs
- Inspect and issue feedback on samples as needed
- Inspect the finished product carefully for flaws
- Ensure manufacturers adhere to quality standards and expectations
General Supply Chain Logistics
- Coordinating with 3PL to ensure goods are received and processed in a timely manner
- Coordinating with freight providers to ensure a good balance of timeliness and cost
- Evaluating existing providers and potential alternatives as needed
- A 60-day initial trial period with a minimum 9-month commitment to follow
- 20-30 hours per week, depending on how quickly you get the job done and the seasonal needs of the role.
- Hourly rate/salary will be offered in line with experience and performance in the role.