Motivo 3 weeks ago
Full-Stack Software Developer (Node.js/Express, React, GraphQL)
North America, South America · Full Time
- 🔑 Report to CTO
- 🏖️ Unlimited PTO
- 💡 3+ Years of Experience
- 🗺 Anywhere in the Americas
- 🧘 Monthly Self-Care Stipend
- 💰$90,000 – $125,000 USD per year
- 📅 Applications Close October 2nd
- 💻 Company-Provided Apple Laptop
- ⚕️ Medical, Vision, and Dental Benefits
Now Hiring: Remote Full-Stack Software Developer (Node.js/Express, React, GraphQL)
Who We Are
Motivo is the largest platform for online clinical supervision. We provide therapists and mental health agencies with the tools they need to provide clinical supervision online. Motivo helps aspiring therapists obtain the supervision required to earn their license, grow their skills, and launch their career.
As a company, we have a commitment to the personal & professional growth of our team. We believe in giving employees autonomy while holding a high standard of personal responsibility. We look for individuals who are kind, humble, good communicators and coachable. The right candidate will be entrepreneurial – a self-starter who is drawn to opportunities, innovation, and new value creation.
Motivo currently has 18 employees, and you’d be the 4th engineer on a team of other full-stack engineers.
About the role
Motivo is seeking a talented, highly-motivated software engineer who can serve as a key player on our engineering team. This is an excellent role for a developer who enjoys in-the-trenches execution and seeing the immediate value of his/her work to our end user. You will report to the CTO.
Being a part of a small team, this role will require a broad range of technical knowledge and skills. We’re looking for someone who is interested in developing ownership of all aspects of the product. What this looks like is a demonstrated interest and ability to learn about technical topics that may be outside your comfort zone, such as devops, security, and database administration.
We also want a team of people who have an interest in the mental health industry and are driven by the opportunity to expand access to mental health care by creating more efficiency in the therapist licensure process.
Our team is fully remote in the Americas. We will consider other locations if you’re willing to heavily overlap in working hours with US Pacific and US Eastern times. This overlap is primarily required for a limited number of meetings and ad hoc discussions you’ll have with stakeholders.
- Frontend: React, Material UI, Apollo Client
- Backend: Node.js in TypeScript, Express, Objection JS, Apollo Server
- Database: PostgreSQL on Google Cloud SQL
- Infrastructure: Docker-containerized apps running on Cloud Run, App Engine in Google Cloud Platform, deployed via Github Actions and Google Cloud Build
The projects you tackle will vary broadly as Motivo continues to grow, but here are a few examples of things you might have the opportunity to work on:
- We’re seeing a big dropoff in conversions at a particular step in our onboarding process. We need someone to work with stakeholders to develop some theories and ship a new version of this screen to try and increase conversions.
- Customers have been asking for the ability to do something in our app for a long time. We need someone to understand the customer’s workflow and to work with our designer to build out this feature.
- We’re missing some key insights about the usage of a feature. We need someone to expand our data pipeline and warehouse, writing queries to provide those insights to our onboarding team.
- Our deployment process could be improved; we want additional checks to ensure the consistency and quality of our code. We need someone to spend some time putting those checks in place in Github Actions.
How we support your growth
Beyond a monthly stipend to support your personal and professional development, Motivo is committed to creating a strong culture of mentorship for our engineering team. We view all aspects of collaboration, such as code review and technical discussions, as an opportunity for us to learn from each other. On top of this, you’ll have dedicated time with your manager to discuss your career goals to ensure that, as much as possible, you’re put on projects that tie directly to your long-term growth as an engineer, both at Motivo and beyond.
How we work
We follow the principles of the agile methodology without a lot of the ceremony (e.g. 2-hour planning poker or retros). This means that our engineers spend almost all their time coding as opposed to being in meetings. We ship code using continuous delivery and we lean heavily on automated testing.
You’ll be given broad freedom as to when you work so long as you make time for synchronous conversations as needed. You’ll be measured by your output as opposed to time spent at your computer.
We adopt a problem-centric approach to development: the top-down product direction consists primarily of problem statements and basic solution proposals, while the details of the final build are left up to the individual product team members to design and implement.
This role is almost certainly not going to be a good fit for you if you thrive in a structured environment where you’re given a detailed spec to build out. Absolutely no judgment on those who enjoy that environment; Motivo is that just not that and likely will never be.
Who you are
- 3+ years professional experience shipping scalable web backends (e.g. Flask, Django, Rails, Express, though experience with Node.js-based frameworks is preferred)
- Experience integrating 3rd-party APIs (e.g. Zoom, Stripe, Auth0)
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, able to adapt level of technical detail to the appropriate audience
- Experience building accessible web apps with a strong emphasis on user experience
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience with an infrastructure as code tools (e.g. Terraform, Ansible)
- Experience with a strongly-typed language (e.g. TypeScript, Java, Go)
You’ll do a practical coding challenge in an environment as similar as possible to your day job. This means you’ll have full access to the internet and can code on whatever IDE or editor you’d like. No whiteboarding, no trivia, no esoteric data structures/algorithms challenges.
You’ll also spend some time with the other members of the product team as well as some cross-functional folks to discuss your experience and what you’re looking for out of your time at Motivo.
- For US-based employees, employer-subsidized medical, vision and dental benefits
- Monthly self-care stipend to spend on (almost) anything that makes you happy or improves your well-being
- Company-provided Apple laptop
Unlimited PTO within reason, and we expect employees to take it