Malala Fund 11 months ago
Editorial Intern, Communications and Creative
US · Part Time
Now Hiring: Editorial Intern, Communications and Creative
⏲ Part-time or Full-time
?? US Citizen
? Anywhere in the U.S.A.
? Academic Credit
? 12-Week Internship
? Applications close on June 9
About Malala Fund
Malala Fund is working toward a world where all girls can learn for 12 years and lead without fear. We advocate for resources and policy changes needed to give all girls a secondary education. The girls we serve have high goals for themselves — and we have high expectations for leaders who can help them. We invest in developing country education leaders and frontline organisations — the people who best understand girls in their communities — in regions where most girls are missing out on secondary school. We amplify girls’ voices. Malala Fund is building a movement of young education activists who, like Malala, speak truth to power around the world.
The Editorial Intern will support the Communications and Creative team in its efforts to amplify the voices of girls around the world. Assembly, Malala Fund’s digital publication and newsletter, is a platform for girls and young women to share their thoughts, challenges and accomplishments — and for all of us to learn about this new generation of leaders. The Editorial Intern will research, write and edit original content for Assembly. The ideal candidate is a highly organised individual with strong writing skills.
This is a paid 12-week internship working out of Malala Fund’s New York office, (but remotely from home during the COVID 19 crisis). Applicants should be able to commit to working 24 hours per week. Graduate and undergraduate applications welcome.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Research and write a variety of content for Assembly, Malala Fund’s digital publication and newsletter
- Participate in editorial meetings to brainstorm and generate creative ideas for stories and features
- Reach out to potential contributors
- Maintain communications databases to track content and outreach
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Translate posts (if fluent in a second language)
- Previous internship or work experience in a related area
- Demonstrated interest in communications or journalism
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with previous experience in copyediting and knowledge of AP style
- Demonstrable, research skills
- Ability to multitask, prioritise workload and work well under pressure
- Maintain high degree of confidentiality with sensitive organisational matters and interact professionally at all internal/external levels
- Second language desirable
How to Apply
Please respond to the following writing prompt in two short paragraphs: Tell us about something you’re passionate about (an activity, a food, a person or anything else!) and why other people should care about it too. Send your writing prompt response, cover letter, resume and two additional writing samples or press clips (four to six pages total) to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating “Editorial Intern, Communications and Creative” in the subject line of your email, or fill out the form to the right of this page by June 9, 2020.
Please note that due to the very high number of applications we receive every time a position is posted, we are unfortunately only able to respond directly to candidates with whom we wish to move forward in the interview process.
Malala Fund is committed to safeguarding children and employment with our team is conditional upon successfully completing a background check.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we are only able to respond to candidates with whom we wish to move forward in the interview process. Malala Fund is committed to safeguarding children and employment with our team is conditional upon successfully completing a